In 1994, with the guidance of school business leaders, Brokers' Risk began providing School Board Legal Liability (SBLL) insurance coverage to address the specific needs of public school districts in Illinois. This Program provides comprehensive coverage for present and future school board members, administrators, employees, and volunteers for covered damages resulting from an actual or alleged breach of duty, negligent act or error, misstatement, misleading statement or omission with up to $10 million in coverage. Special education and vocational education cooperatives are also eligible for coverage.
Brokers' Risk's experience has allowed it to form close relationships with key school administrators and board members throughout America. As a result, Brokers' Risk is in a unique position of being on the cutting edge of issues facing public school districts today.
By offering our SBLL Program in other states outside of Illinois, Brokers' Risk provides much needed coverage for claims and claims expense in an area of growing litigation for school districts across the nation.
In addition, SBLL Program provides:
- Coverage for certain types of sexual harassment* claims
- Up to $500,000 of defense coverage for administrative hearings seeking injunctive and declaratory relief in special education hearings
- Up to $250,000 of defense coverage for administrative hearings seeking injunctive and declaratory relief in employment disputes and redistricting activities
- Up to $250,000 of defense coverage for contractual disputes with suppliers and independent contractors
- Full prior acts coverage is available
- Loss Control Manual that addresses risk management issues in increasingly complex areas, such as special education and employment discrimination
*Although school districts can look to the SBLL Program for coverage for certian types of verbal sexual harassment claims, most claims involving sexual abuse/molestation will fall beyond the scope of the SBLL Program. School districts should contact their general liability carrier for more information regarding coverage for sexual abuse/molestation claims.
The coverage of the SBLL Program is summarized on this web site and is subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions printed in School Board Legal Liability coverage agreement. Refer to the coverage agreement for specifics on coverage and limits.